Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Alright, I'm about to let a little bit of my inner nerd show here for you guys. Part 1

I have been really excited about something lately. Halloween. Yes, yes, I realize that it is just the beginning of September and not near enough to October 31 to even think about being excited for it. Yet, every year during late August, the same feeling washes over me. I get random urges to watch horror flicks, and read magazines like Home and Garden looking for things like recipes for "spooktacular treats" or "Halloween party tips". I even go as far as to make up excuses to go to the local party store more than necessary, just so I can see what kind of decorations and costumes they have. Now first off let me say that I am not some psychopath who loves severed hands, or someone who believes in the occult. I'm really just your average 17 year old girl.



I have often speculated as to why I love Halloween so much. Maybe because it's close to my birthday? Maybe it's some deep rooted psychological, thing, that has to do with my love of sweets? I honestly don't think it's either. And while my love of the day is usually focused into a few months, at any time in the year I can be found watching shows like Ghost Hunters or Ten Scariest Places on Earth.

But so far, I have been able to narrow down the reason for my Halloween-itis to two possible answeres. And, most likely, it's a little bit of both.



The first, is the time. Fall is absolutely my favorite season of the year. I love everything about it. From the way the leaves change, to the weather, to being able to wear slightly warmer clothes to, well, what do you know? One of the main holidays in autumn is none other than Halloween.

The second and more "philosophical" reason for my Halloween love comes from my "what if..?" complex. I can so easily be caught up in the fascination of something that is so different from the day to day, that I just cant help but be intrigued. And then, when you take something that seems totally impossible (like say a vampire), and then find that there is, in fact, some kind of historical story behind it (such as how the name Dracula supposedly came from Vlad Dracul, once the ruler of Turkey, who is notorious for his violence and blood lust. Oh, and one of his favorite past times was to impale prisoners heads on sticks). Well, that just gets me excited, and much more interested at the fact that, maybe all of this crazy stuff didn't just pop out of someones head one day. Maybe, just maybe there really is something to all of this.




That's not to say that I believe in vampires and zombies and all of that stuff, because I don't. But to think that all of that stuff isn't just made up, that it's really linked to an ancient society, or a real person, it's just incredible to think about.

Needless to say, my anticipation of the day is only going to grow as it gets closer. And, you can expect more posts on the topic. Such as my tips on great and unique costumes, the historical background of the things associated with halloween, cool decorating ideas, and much more.

I cant wait!

No comments: