Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

My Name Is Amanda... And I'm an Addict.

Now before you say anything, I'm not that kind of addict. Today, I'm talking about (somewhat) healthy addictions. These are the things that we love - that make us happy. This is the first of several blog posts in which I divulge to you the random (and some times embarrassing) things that I can't pass up; what I'm addicted too.

So, now that we've got the introductions out of the way, let's get started.

My Name is Amanda *Hiiii Amanda* and I'm addicted too.. *gulp*

Thrift Stores *dun dun duuuuunnnnn*

Yes, thrift stores. Nothing gets my blood pumping like the prospect of finding a one of a kind item, that no one else has, all for a low, low price. It rocks.

So far, I have only been able to find two downsides to being a thrift store addict.
1. a lot of the clothes/shoes there tend to be either extremely small or extremely big sizes. I would assume this is because people donate their skinny clothes that they grow out of, and their fat clothes if they loose weight. This means that it can be difficult for an average sized person (me) to find something that fits.

2. Sometimes, I get so excited at the low low prices, that I over estimate my confidence or fashion savvy and end up buying something that I later realize I will never wear anywhere but my house.

During my most recent thrift store spree, I picked up three items (all of which totalled around $15). The first was this skirt:

Now, I know what you are thinking.. "Amanda, come on. That Looks like a skirt that Maria would wear in The Sound of Music. Do you honestly think you are Maria?" To which I would probably mumble an "I wish" to myself. But fear not! I have big plans for this skirt.
While the maria-ness was what originally drew me to this skirt, when I put it on, I looked like one of those giant parachutes you play with in kindergarten. But, the fact that skirt has an elastic waistband gave me some options. So, I readjusted the skirt, paired with this belt also courtesy of the salvation army, and ended up with... (drum roll please..)

ta da!

I made one more purchase at the thrift store today: a pair of shoes. And I will admit, I got these mostly for the novelty of them.



I haven't yet decided if I actually like them, or if they were just a victim of my addiction. But hey, they were only $7.

No comments: